The immune system attacks and destroy not only pathogenic microbes and other foreign substances but also cancer cells. A cancer cell does not respond to the body’s normal mechanism for controlling cell growth and reproduction and continues to grow and grow and can invade and alter the functions of an organ or put pressure on the surrounding tissues which may result in a wide variety of medical problems.
Most of the protection of the body against cancer is carried out by the cells of the immune system. This is exemplified by an astounding statistic that cancer is 100 times more likely to occur in persons who take drugs that suppress the immune system such as those who received donated organs or those with autoimmune disorders. To improve the immune system’s capacity to identify and eliminate cancer, scientists have developed biologic immune systems response modifiers. These modifiers stimulates the immune system to produce more and aggressive tumor killing cells or make the tumor more susceptible to the immune response. It may also the improve the body’s tolerance to radiation therapy or chemotherapy.
The Philippine Narra tree has been thoroughly researched on its anti-cancer properties. Endo and Miyasake (1972) reported that the dried cold water extract of the leaves injected in mice significantly inhibited the growth of Ehrlich ascites carcinoma cells in mice. Three of the the phytochemical components of the Philippine Narra tree – ISOLIQUIRITIGENIN, PTEROSTILBEN and PTEROCARPIN – has been researched extensively for its anti-cancer properties from other plant isolates.
Many researches were done on Isoliquiritigenin from other plant isolates:
- POTENT ANTI-TUMOR PROMOTING AGENT by S Yamamoto, E Aizu, H Jiang, T Nakadate, I Kiyoto, JC Wang and R Kato. Department of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, Keio University, Tokyo, Japan.
- INDUCE APOPTOSIS (CELL DEATH) IN HUMAN GASTRIC CANCER MGC-803 CELLS by Ma J, Fu NY, Pang DB, Wu WY, Xu AL. Department of Biochemistry, Center for Biopharmaceutical Research and State Key laboratory for Bio-control, College of Life Science, Zhongshan University, Guangzhou, P. R. China.
- INHIBIT CELL GROWTH and INDUCE APOPTOSIS (CELL DEATH) in B16 MELANOMA 4A5 CELLS by Iwashita K, Kobori M, Yamaki K, Tsushida T. Institute of Applied Biochemistry, University of Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan.
- INHIBIT GROWTH OF PROSTATE CANCER by Kanazawa M, Satomi Y, Mizutani Y, Ukimura O, Kawauchi A, Sakai T, Baba M, Okuyama T, Nishino H, Miki T. Department of Urology, Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine, Kawaramachi-Hirokoji, Kyoto 602-8566, Japan.
- CHEMOPREVENTIVE AGAINST COLON CANCER by Baba M, Asano R, Takigami I, Takahashi T, Ohmura M, Okada Y, Sugimoto H, Arika T, Nishino H, Okuyama T. Department of Natural Medicine and Phytochemistry, Meiji Pharmaceutical University, Kiyose, Tokyo, Japan.
Researches done by Rimando, A.M. et al. (2002, 2007 , 2008, 2013) in USDA’s Natural Products Utilization Research Unit, Oxford, Mississippi, on pterostilbene has found it to be CHEMOPREVENTIVE and ANTIOXIDANT:
- PTEROSTILBENE prevented a type of cell damage that is normally induced by cancer causing agent.
- PTEROSTILBENE is equal in potency to resveratrol as a cancer-preventive agent.
- PTEROSTILBENE is shown to be toxic to human breast cancer cell line.
- PTEROSTILBENE can lower blood glucose by 42% comparable to at least one known antidiabetic agent (metformin).
- PTEROSTILBENE has a high antioxidant activity.
- PTEROSTILBENE appears to be 60 to 100 times more potent as a fungicide
Other notable studies linking pterostilbene to anti-cancer:
- PHARMACOMETRICS OF PTEROSTILBENE: PRECLINICAL PHARMACOKINETICS AND METABOLISM, ANTICANCER, ANTIINFLAMMATORY, ANTIOXIDANT AND ANALGESIC ACTIVITY by C. M. Remsberg, J. A. Y´a˜nez, Y. Ohgami, K. R. Vega-Villa, A. M. Rimando, and N. M. Davies. Phytotherapy Research.
- PTEROSTILBENE INHIBITS BREAST CANCER IN VITRO THROUGH MITOCHONDRIAL DEPOLARIZATION AND INDUCTION OF CASPASE-DEPENDENT APOPTOSIS by J. A. Alosi, D. E. McDonald, J. S. Schneider, A. R. Privette, and D. W. McFadden. Journal of Surgical Research.
- ANALYSIS OF SAFETY FROM A HUMAN CLINICAL TRIAL WITH PTEROSTILBENE by D. M. Riche, C. L. McEwen, K. D. Riche et al. Journal of Toxicology.
Research done on PTEROCARPIN by Dr. Morrow’s group, UD, Chemistry Dept. has found its potential as a therapeutic tumor suppressant and anti-HIV agent.
Since 2002, many people with cancer have already been helped by Narra tea. The beneficial health effects can be felt in a few weeks when you will feel and see improvements in your health. It will not be long when you will feel and see more improvements. It is suggested that you avoid eating sugary foods that can help the cancer cells grow. Eat more organically grown meat & vegetables.